Skip to main content

Football Season Article

Posted Date: 11/30/2018

Thumbnail Image for Article 27877

As August came around, everyone knew what time it was. From the start of the first week, the Morgan Eagles had been ready for this moment. The season started off on August 6th, practiced until the 17th. They then had 2 scrimmages against Gordon and Milford. The next week, on Aug 24th, they had a scrimmage against Lingleville. The official games were right around the corner, and the Eagles were ready. The team first traveled to Gholson to play for the first game of the season on August 31st. The Eagles lost with a score 48-46 with Gholson winning. The next Friday, Sept 6th, the Eagles played the Penelope Wolverines. The game that night was delayed until the next morning due to lightning. The Eagles then came back and lost to the Wolverines 48-37. Their next game was against the Three Way Braves. The Eagles played them in Morgan as their first home game. The Braves had an injured player, and no subs, which made the Eagles and the Brave play 5 on 5. The Eagles finished with a score of 63-0. The next week, The Eagles had their homecoming against the Covington Owls. The Covington came with great attitude towards winning the game, but the Eagles knew that it couldn’t happen. The Eagles played that rainy night flawless and better than before. They beat the Owls 37-8. Next, they traveled to Bluff Dale for their homecoming game. As the Bobcats started falling behind, the Eagles gave them no mercy. Morgan won the game and played Gorman the following Friday. The game started off great on both sides, until the 2nd quarter. The Eagles started to get injured and fall apart. They ended up with multiple injuries and Gorman winning the game by 45+ points. The Eagles, due to injuries, did not play the Evant Elks and did not schedule a game due to district starting the upcoming week. The next Friday, they were all healed, and ready to take on the Mount Calm Panthers in their first game of district. They immediately took advantage over Panthers due to their lack of effort. The Eagles stopped them from the beginning of the game and earned a spot in district. The next game was against Bynum in Morgan for the Eagles homecoming. They played them for the spot in the district championship. They won at their homecoming and had a date against Kopperl for the championship. The Kopperl Eagles decided to play on a rainy, wet Thursday night. The field was already muddy and torn up from the junior high teams playing on it, so it didn’t really help the Morgan Eagle's speed. As the game began, there was at least 2 lightning strikes nearby which caused the game to be stopped a couple of times. As the rain kept pouring, Morgan started to fall behind. The game ended with 1 ejection and multiple flags on the Morgan’s side. Kopperl ended the game with less flags than Morgan and beat the Morgan Eagles for the district championship. The Eagles then went off to the 1st round of playoffs to play against Iredell for a chance to go to the 2nd round. Iredell won that night by shutting down the Eagle’s chance to the second round. The Eagles finished the season 3-3 and got 2-1 in the district games.